To help develop reading motivation, try these research based ideas:
- Turn off the tv
- Make book reading times a special time. Get comfortable.
- Let the children see you reading and enjoy reading. Talk about what your read.
- Let children pick out the books they want to read or want to have read to them.
- Scatter books throughout the classroom and/or house.
These tips will help children to:
- appreciate the pleasures of reading
- view reading as a social art to be shared with others
- see reading as an opportunity to explore their interests
- have a variety of reasons to read – from pleasure to finding information
- become familiar with a different book formats
Reading is essential for school readiness and life preparation! It’s not too early to start.
Enjoy a book today!