Tired of the same routine in the mornings? Try something new at home, preschool, child care…where ever you are! Try a muffin tin breakfast. I did this morning. This little change to serving the breakfast food works for anyone…..toddlers, preschoolers, school age to grandparents!
You can include whatever you want but this morning I chose to have milk, cheese, raisin muffin cut in triangle shapes, bananas, peaches, and 1 hard-boiled egg.
So, put some sunshine in your day and enjoy a muffin tin breakfast – and have it YOUR WAY!
I can’t leave without mentioning some learning that can happen:
- The muffin is cut into triangles. Great time to identify the shape.
- Is the glass half full? What does that mean in terms of math?
- The cheese is cut into small squares. Another shape to talk about.
- Count the bananas and the peaches.
- Vocabulary words – the peaches feel? slippery. The muffin is rough.
- Encourage conversation during mealtime. Encourage talk between children so that a pattern of c-c-c-t or c-t-c-c happens rather than c-t-c. (c=child, t=teacher/parent). Praise children attempts at peer interaction.
- Scaffold children’s attempts by restating what they say, expanding ideas, and providing words.
- Ask questions and make comments.
- Teach a little sign language.
- Use prompts “Tell me more.” and describe children’s actions.