Children are intrigued with playing in the sand. This day is no different for this toddler. He spots the sand while exploring the outdoors. Rather than sit down he lies down on the sand and just enjoys the warmth of the sand.
Then, he moves his hands so they are covered with the sand. Back and forth he moves, covering his hands with sand and uncovering them.
This great sensory exploration experience with sand provides learning experiences such as learning about:
- math terms such as “more” and “less”
- to explore force and discover cause and effect
- to use small and large muscles
- building a sense of competence
- apply previous skills to this new situation
- answers “what next” questions
- testing ideas
- coordinate motor activity
- demonstrate sensory regulation by pushing sand/objects in sand
- repeats demonstrating persistence
So, find a little sand and enjoy all the learning!